In today’s world, each and every person is very keen of security and safety of their personal stuff. It can be anything document, files, records, notes….anything.
Most the people to reduce the load to carry all such stuff as explained above, they store all the information on their phone. So now the question comes “How can we hide these personal files from other people? ”. There are many third-party apps available in the market which provides you these features. But they can be easily shown on the home screen or app drawer when a closer person opens your phone.
So, now I am going to discuss a way in which you can hide the files without using any app.
In this method as the name suggest we are going to change the format of the file that we want to hide from all the others. Due to change in format, this file cannot be read by any app and will be hidden from a person who uses your phone in your absence.
To change the format of a file you can follow below given steps on the Android phone:
Notes: Here I am using a third party app to change the extension, as in older mobile it is not possible to change the extension from the inbuilt file manager.
1) Open your File Manager, go to file manager settings. In settings check for “Show File Extension”. Enable it or check the box before it. In some of the new Android upper than 5.0, it is enabled by default so you can directly move to step 2.
2) Now move to the file that you want to hide.
3) Long press the file to rename it.
4) Now you have to delete the file format (extension) which is after a dot. For example, if you want to hide a png file, you will have to replace .jpg with anything which is not a format extension like .abc and click ok.
5) Once you do this you will get a small pop up on your screen like below stating :
“ If you change this file’s extension, you may not be able to open it.”
6) Click Ok button. Now you are done.
After this if you try to open the file it will give you a message on the screen stating No app can perform this action.
This indicates that this file is not supported by any of the apps and cannot be displayed. To again open this file you can rename the file in the same way as above to the earlier extension.
This is really very effective when you want to hide a limited number of files. But if you want to hide a larger number of files it is very difficult to change the extension of each and every file. In this second method would be the best method to hide a large number of files.
This is the best method to hide files. In this method you just have to move files to a location in internal memory where they can not visible to any app. The folder location is as given below:
As this folder (Data) cannot be accessed by any of the app installed on the Android phone. Hence crawl of the app to the files and folder will be prevented. Thus files present in this folder will be hidden permanently.
However, I suggest making a “New folder” in the “Internal Storage>Android>data” folder to make sure that your data is stored in one location.